Powered by Blogger.

Granola Bars and Remembering a Dear Friend...

by - Sunday, September 29, 2013

Nivedita...Nivi. I remember her telling me to make something healthy in, if I'm not wrong, the second week of August last year. I told her I would make something for her..egg less and healthy. I wish I'd baked her something the very next day, but I didn't know then that I was running out of time..she was running out of time.
    I remember her telling me that the cupcakes I baked were way better than the ones she had at Theobroma. That compliment had me smiling the entire day. We weren't the best of friends but she was someone I looked up to. There are very few people who inspire me, she is one of them. She inspired me to believe in myself, to push myself and reach out for what I deserved. I never told her any of this, never got the chance to tell her that I loved and cherished our friendship. I regret it now. But how much would have changed had she known?

   Nivi, I'm sure you're in a happy place right now and I just want you to know that I miss you and whenever I think of you, it brings a smile to my face. No tears, just as you would have wanted!






I dedicate this post to Nivi's memory :)







   Granola bars. Chewy and crunchy all at once. You can eat them for breakfast and lunch and as a mid day snack and as dinner, dipped in some dark chocolate!! Or they're just as great by themselves too!

   I used almond butter in this recipe but it can easily be replaced with peanut butter. Lets rush to the recipe...


CHEWY GRANOLA BARS





Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, melted
6 tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup almond butter (make you own!)

1/4 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup oats (I used Quaker)
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 cup dry coconut (kopra), chopped
1/2 cup cashews, chopped and toasted
1/4 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit), chopped
salt to taste

Method:



1) Preheat the oven 175 degrees C. Line a baking tray with parchment, covering the sides of the tray as well. Grease lightly with butter.

2) In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, almond butter, corn syrup and vanilla extract and set aside.


3) In a large mixing bowl, combine the almonds, coconut, cashews and raisin.

4) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix using a spatula until combined and the wet ingredients are evenly distributed among the dry ones.




5) Spread in to the prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly browned on the top.


6)  Once done, remove the bars from the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.


7) Pull the parchment paper and remove the block from the tray. Cut into pieces.




NOTES:

* You may use any nuts you fancy...walnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia, hazelnut, in stead of the cashews or in addition to them
* I bet dried cranberries would taste great. Also, why not try fig, apricot, cherries, dates.
* You may use honey in stead of corn syrup but the bars won't turn out as chewy. They taste delicious and are a lot more healthier with honey though.





Happy Baking!!
xo





You May Also Like

0 comments