Powered by Blogger.

Make your own: Almond Butter!

by - Sunday, June 09, 2013






   Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or, as they are lovingly called, PB&Js. Most of you all have grown up on them. Me? I didn't. I was happy with the Indian breakfast staples..poha, idli, dosa, vegetable sandwich..you get the drift. I came across peanut butter much later..in my teens almost. And I was too impressed by it. Not my kinda thing back then. But my sister?! She loved it. LOVED it. In my case, its been an acquired taste..not without added sugar though. I just cannot get myself to eat peanut butter that has no sugar in it. Oh and even after 'discovering' the loveliness that is peanut butter, I haven't tried a PB&J...there, I said it.
   Coming to almond butter, its fantastic!! No no, I don't like almonds more than peanuts. I love them both, equally. And almond butter didn't taste icky at first..it tasted wonderful. Like an explosion of creamy almond-ness and the nutty aroma! It pairs really well with fruit. Also a cheese sandwich paired with this spread would be delightful!!



   


   The almond butter in the pictures was made with just a handful of almonds, hence I do not have exact measurements. Spur of the moment decision really, wasn't meant to be a post. But it turned out so lovely, I had to share!! Making it is as easy as one-two-three. All you need is almonds, a food processor (a mixer/blender works just fine) and a spatula (or a wooden spoon). You have these things lying around? Make this luscious almond butter now!! Here is the recipe...

ALMOND BUTTER


Ingredients:

120 g good quality almonds
1 1/2 tsp olive oil/any other unflavoured oil (optional)
1 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)

Equipment:

Food processor/mixer
1 spatula/wooden spoon

Method:


1) Dump the almonds into your food processor/mixer and grind. 


2) Hit the button to stop, add the oil and sugar and scrape down the sides of the bowl at regular intervals.


3) Let the food processor/mixer do it's job!


  It takes about 15 minutes for the almonds to acquire a spreadable consistency. You may stop grinding the almonds when the texture you desire is reached.


NOTE:


So many flavour combinations here! 

*Make it chunky by adding some roasted almonds which have been given a quick blitz.
*How would some melted dark chocolate mixed into the almond butter be? Yumm...choco almond butter!!


Let me know how it goes for you!

For regular updates you can find me on Twitter and Facebook


Happy Baking!
xo

You May Also Like

0 comments