Powered by Blogger.

Decadent Hot Chocolate.

by - Friday, December 30, 2011







 Mumbai is finally feeling like Winter has arrived! The early mornings are of the kind that make you want to get cozy in your blanket and not leave the bed at all. The days are lazy with no school, studies or anything at all to bother about...Vacations!! And in the cold chilly evenings, i'm left craving for something hot and yummy. At such times I would usually turn to my Mother, the best cook in the whole wide world. But today was different.
  I was nice and cozy in a blanket reading an Agatha Christie book and I wanted some hot beverage. Coffee seemed like the obvious choice but then I thought of chocolate and how nice it would be to have some hot chocolate..not hot cocoa ..hot chocolate!
  I've never been to a coffee shop that serves hot chocolate which tastes as good as their menu promises, except Theobroma, they serve some awesome hot chocolate! But that isn't close to where I reside. It was time I made my own Hot Chocolate..with Real Chocolate not Cocoa.



DECADENT HOT CHOCOLATE




Recipe adapted from: Nigella Lawson (Nigella Feasts) and Purple Foodie


200 ml whole milk
100 ml cream
100 g dark chocolate

1 1/2 tsp cocoa
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Whipped cream (optional)

Method:


1) Break or cut the chocolate into pieces. Set aside.

2) Heat the milk and cream along with the cinnamon stick, cocoa and brown sugar (optional) in a pan. Bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and cover the pot for 10 minutes and let it rest, allowing the flavor of cinnamon to infuse into the milk. Reheat to a simmer.

3) Take the pan off the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla extract and whisk until all the chocolate has melted...and then whisk some more.
4) Pour into cups, add whipped cream (optional) and sip away!


 

NOTE:
* I used 44% cocoa chocolate and hence felt the need to add some cocoa. If you like your hot chocolate nice and dark, fell free to add as much cocoa as you like :)
* There is a lot of scope for variation and I mean a lot. How about some Rum?? Or maybe Irish Cream?? Maybe honey or chilli? The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy your Decadent Hot Chocolate!!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook?

 

You May Also Like

0 comments