Powered by Blogger.

Cheesecakelets Anyone??

by - Sunday, January 29, 2012




 Hello people!!
 Today is my sister's birthday eve and I wanted to make it special. And so I did! Yay!!
 So, my sister was feeling low, 'Doesn't feel like it's my birthday week', is what she said the previous night before going to bed. I knew I had to do something to make her morning special and what better way to do it than FOOD!! No better way, right?! 


 She absolutely loves pancakes; not that she has them too often; but she loves them nonetheless. So I made Cheese and Cinnamon Cakelets with a Balsamic Strawberry topping.
There's quite a funny story about the first time I made these cakelets. I was new to the art of cooking and baking. I did not quite understand the difference between baking flour and baking powder (How dumb, right?), but, to my misfortune, neither did the grocery store owner! I was too proud to ask help form anyone, even my mom, I soon realised being so would do me no good. So, I went ahead (relying on the grocer's judgement of baking powder being baking flour) and bought some baking 'powder' instead of baking 'flour'. Still oblivious to the fact (no, my mom wasn't at home), I made the pancake batter with 50 g of baking powder. Just. Imagine.The.Taste. And to worsen it further, these pancakes were supposed to be a birthday breakfast treat for my sister. The strawberries were the saving grace. My loving sister still ate a couple of bites, just because she didn't want me to feel bad. How adorable, no? I eventually asked her to stop consuming those horribly bitter cakelets and she gladly agreed, who wouldn't?! They tasted...ummm..I can't think of a word to describe it! They just tasted yuck, unpalatable!
Now that I am better aware of what means what, I knew these were going to be a complete hit. This was to be surprise breakfast, just to make my sissy feel special and it was. 


 

 The cheesecakelets are adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe. I saw it on her TV show, 
Nigella Feasts, I think..it was really long ago. You could add a number of flavors, maybe add some chopped herbs too!

CINNAMON and CHEESECAKELETS with BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES
Adapted from: Nigella Lawson


For the Cakelets


3 eggs (separated)
2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract
250 g cream cheese ( I used Amul cheese spread. I know it isn't cream cheese :P)
2 tsp cinnamon powder
50 g all purpose flour


For the Balsamic Strawberries

15-18 Strawberries
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Method


1) Quarter the strawberries and bruise them slightly, you don't want a strawberry pulp.

2) Add the sugar and vinegar to the strawberries and swirl the bowl. Set aside.

3) Moving on to the pancakes, in a bowl, whisk yolks with sugar until slightly fluffy.

4) Stir in the vanilla extract and cream cheese until well incorporated.

5) Next, stir in the cinnamon powder, followed by the flour. Mix until very well incorporated.

6) In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until fluffy.

7) Fold in the egg whites into the pancake batter. Do not stir too hard.

8) Set a non stick pan on medium low heat. Pour the pancake batter in small circles on the pan.

9) When bubbles begin to form on the edges, flip the pancakes.

10) Serve warm with the strawberries on top and if you like, some sliced bananas. 




Enjoy! :D

You can find me here and here

You May Also Like

0 comments